WEST LOOP —The karaoke is coming.
Austin Baker, owner of Humboldt Park’s Bar Marta, will open Won Fun Chinese and 2Fun Chinese, a bi-level restaurant and bar in J.P. Graziano's old wholesale warehouse at 905 W. Randolph St. Nov. 30, a representative announced Thursday. The restaurant and bar, located next to West Loop mainstay J.P. Graziano Grocery Company, focuses on Sichuan-inspired Chinese fare and will offer dim sum-style snacks.
Opening an Asian restaurant was a longtime dream for Baker, a veteran of the Chicago restaurant industry who spent part of his career cooking in Bhutan. Baker and Chef Ben Ruiz developed the menu — featuring small eats, Sichuan classics, noodles, vegetables and fried rice — during a recent trip to China.
Won Fun Chinese, the first-floor, 60-seat restaurant, will serve up family-style Chinese feasts, including a Beijing-style duck dinner for six, out of an open kitchen. The menu, which features Sichuan classics and playful dishes with a modern twist, will also feature:
• General Tso’s Chicken Wings
• Mouthwatering Rabbit, served chilled with sesame peanut dressing, cilantro, Sichuan peppercorns
• Ma Po Tofu, minced beef, doubanjiang, dried chilies, Sichuan pepper
• Dan Dan Noodles, beef, egg noodles, zha chi and chili sauce
• Twice-Cooked Pork, stir-fried Chinese leeks and fermented black beans
• Chongqing Fried Chicken, double fried, double spicy
• Sweet and Sour Pork, Duroc pork loin, pineapple, bell peppers, sweet and sour sauce
• Biang Biang Mien, hand pulled noodles, chili-cumin lamb, cilantro
• Clams in Black Bean Sauce, housemade noodles, cilantro, ginger, scallions, fermented soy
• Foie Gras Fried Rice, seared foie, roasted duck, scallions
• Garlic Steamed Pea Tips
Located on the second floor, 2Fun Chinese, a 160-seat lively bar and lounge will offer up cheeky cocktails, dim sum-style snacks and karaoke. Baker has tapped Chicago mixologist Remy Walle to oversee the bar's cocktail program, which will include the Oolong Island Iced Tea with four different liquors infused with oolong tea and popping boba, frozen cocktails, 24 local and Chinese beers on tap and a selection of Asian whiskeys, rums, and wine.
At opening, 2Fun Chinese's dim sum-style snacks will include BBQ Pork Bao, Teriyaki Pork Ribs and Chicken Bacon Buns, a representative said.
Overhauling the old warehouse, Won Fun Chinese and 2Fun Chinese is decorated with 280 handmade Chinese silk lanterns and a custom centerpiece macramé by Chicago artist Christalena Hughmanick.
Won Fun Chinese and 2Fun Chinese will be open 5 p.m.-2 a.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Lunch will launch at a later date, a representative for the restaurant said.
Also inspired by travels to China, Chef Stephanie Izard opened Duck Duck Goat on Fulton Market in March.
Won Fun Chinese and 2Fun Chinese will open Nov. 30 in Fulton Market. [Facebook/2Fun Chinese]
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here.