The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Shooter In Greektown Brawl Stomped Teen To Death In 2008, Prosecutors Say

By Erica Demarest | October 24, 2017 6:21pm
 Tariq Anderson (from left) and Deshaun Carter were convicted of second-degree murder in 2013.
Tariq Anderson (from left) and Deshaun Carter were convicted of second-degree murder in 2013.
View Full Caption
Chicago Police Department

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — Nearly 10 years after Deshaun Carter and Tariq Anderson beat a 17-year-old to death, they ran into friends of the victim in a Greektown restaurant Saturday, prosecutors said.

That led to a huge brawl at Taco Burrito King in which three people were shot, prosecutors said at a bond hearing for Carter, 26, on Tuesday.

RELATED: Armed Man At Greektown Burrito Shop Brawl Was On Parole For Murder: Records

Carter and co-defendant Anderson, also 26, were released from prison in 2016 after being convicted of second-degree murder in 2013 for kicking and stomping Shaun Bowens to death in 2008, according to prosecutors and news reports.

When friends of Bowens recognized Carter and Anderson at Taco Burrito King, 811 W. Jackson Blvd., about 4:20 a.m. Saturday, a brawl erupted, according to court testimony.

Carter is accused of shooting a 26-year-old woman and co-defendant Marc Raboteaux, 31, in the ensuing melee — along with himself. Anderson, meanwhile, was arrested on allegations he pistol-whipped a 29-year-old man with a gun Anderson and Carter shared during the attack.

Carter, of the 4800 block of South Drexel Boulevard, now faces charges of unlawful use of weapon by a felon and aggravated battery by discharging a firearm. He was denied bail Tuesday.

Anderson was denied bail Monday. Raboteaux — who was rushed to Stroger Hospital in critical condition after being shot in his chest Saturday — was charged with punching multiple people during the brawl. He remained hospitalized Monday and is allowed to go free on his own recognizance pending trial.

According to Assistant State's Attorney Erin Antonietti, Carter can be seen on surveillance footage "exchanging words" with someone at Taco Burrito King shortly before the fight broke out Saturday.

He and Anderson are accused of repeatedly punching and striking a 29-year-old man before Carter pulled out a gun. Police said Anderson was caught on video using that gun to pistol-whip the 29-year-old. At some point, authorities said, Anderson dropped the gun.

Carter picked it up, Antonietti said, and after a struggle with at least one man and a 26-year-old woman, began shooting.

According to prosecutors, Carter shot himself in his leg, the 26-year-old woman in her leg and Raboteaux in his chest. The woman had been trying to disarm Carter by kicking at the gun, Antonietti said.

When police arrived, they found Carter holding a loaded 9mm Ruger handgun, according to authorities.

During a bond hearing Tuesday at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse, 2650 S. California Ave., Assistant Public Defender Gillian Daniels said Carter and his co-defendants were fighting "friends of the deceased person in the second-degree murder case."

The Tribune reported that Bowens was beaten with sticks and concrete chunks.

Gillian said Carter was on the ground for most of the fight Saturday. He is a high school graduate with a 9-year-old child, the attorney said, and works stocking products. He also attends a Baptist church, Gillian said.

Prosecutors said the 26-year-old woman who was shot in her leg was able to identify Carter as the shooter.