The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Lawyer Says Chicago Police Beat This Woman After The Donald Trump Rally

By Kelly Bauer | March 16, 2016 5:28pm | Updated on March 16, 2016 7:20pm
 Kathleen Griffin says she was beaten by police after the Donald Trump rally in Chicago.
Kathleen Griffin says she was beaten by police after the Donald Trump rally in Chicago.
View Full Caption
Kathleen Griffin; Chicago Police

NEAR WEST SIDE — A Michigan woman, through her lawyer, says she was badly beaten by Chicago Police after the Donald Trump rally at the UIC Pavilion was canceled on Friday.

Kathleen Griffin was "peacefully protesting" the rally with her 13-year-old daughter on Friday when police beat her with batons, said her attorney, Sara Garber.

Griffin was later "falsely" charged with battery to a police officer, Garber said. Police confirmed that Griffin, 45, had been charged with battery following the scuffle, and was arrested at 7:16 p.m. Friday right outside the pavilion.

Police said Griffin was arrested after hitting an officer in the face with a closed hand, according to police. Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the woman has the right to have her allegations vetted by the department and an independent board.

"We take allegations of excessive force very seriously and encourage her to file a formal complaint with the police department's internal affairs department or with the independent police review board so that her claims may be thoroughly investigated," Guglielmi said in a statement.

Griffin's lawyer said it was police that were the abusers.

"She was grabbed and beaten by police," Garber said. "She was beaten with batons badly on her head and also over her body." Her 13-year-old daughter witnessed the incident, she said.

RELATED: UIC Botched Security for Trump Rally, Put Cops in Danger, Police Union Says

Griffin, bruised and bloody, was taken to a Loretto Hospital, where she required multiple staples to close a gash in her head, Garber said. Afterward, Griffin was held in the county jail, Garber said.

According to police, Griffin and the arresting officer fell to the ground after she was placed in custody. It was then that the woman struck her head, causing injury, police said.

Her police mug shot shows Griffin with her head wrapped in a large bandage.

Garber said they are trying to determine what officers were involved in the incident. She refused to say whether they plan to file a lawsuit.

Griffin was arrested around the same time and place as Timothy Bradford, 21, who was seen being arrested and beaten by police near the intersection of Racine and Van Buren after the rally. The scene near the intersection after the canceled rally was described as a "large-scale disturbance" by police.

Sohaan Goss, 21, and Sergio Giraldo, 23, were both charged with felony aggravated battery of a police officer in incidents that happened nearby and after the rally, police said.


Kathleen Griffin was beaten by police, said her attorney, Sara Garber. [Courtesy Sara Garber]


For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: