The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Tyshawn Lee's Killer Laughed About Murder, Wanted To Kill More Kids: Police

By  Kelly Bauer and Erica Demarest | March 8, 2016 12:29pm | Updated on March 8, 2016 5:53pm

 The  executioner of 9-year-old Tyshawn Lee,  the Chicago boy lured away from a park and shot dead to get back at his family as part of a gang feud, is locked up and charged with his murder, police said Monday night.
Tyshawn Lee's 'Coward' Executioner Charged in Murder That Devastated City
View Full Caption

AUBURN GRESHAM — The executioner of 9-year-old Tyshawn Lee — the Chicago boy lured away from a park and shot dead to get back at his family during a gang feud — laughed and bragged about killing the boy while in jail on a separate charge, prosecutors said Tuesday.

First-degree murder charges have been filed against Dwright Boone-Doty, 22, the alleged gunman in the crime that stunned the city and drew national headlines.

He was also charged this week in the Oct. 18 murder of 19-year-old Brianna Jenkins — a case in which Boone-Doty was gunning for rival gang members and fatally shot Jenkins to "shut her up," prosecutors allege.

 Prosecutors say Corey Morgan (left) and Kevin Edwards planned the heinous murder of 9-year-old Tyshawn Lee.
Prosecutors say Corey Morgan (left) and Kevin Edwards planned the heinous murder of 9-year-old Tyshawn Lee.
View Full Caption
Chicago Police Department

Boone-Doty was held without bail Tuesday after prosecutors described the brutal murder of Tyshawn — and how seemingly proud of himself Boone-Doty was after allegedly committing it.

“Shorty, he was like he couldn’t take it no more," Boone-Doty reportedly said as he repeatedly laughed and described shooting Tyshawn in the face, according to prosecutors. "Shorty couldn’t take it no more.”

RELATED: Read the Horrifying Court Documents From the Tyshawn Lee Murder Case

Tyshawn was hit in his back, forearm and head, and part of his thumb was shot off as if he were raising his hand to block the shots, prosecutors said previously. Boone-Doty was facing Tyshawn when he shot him, something he had wanted to do "because he was so little," according to prosecutors.

Boone-Doty also had a rap song about the slaying in the works and said he regretted not going back to the park to kill more kids, Assistant State's Attorney George Canellis said during a bond hearing Tuesday. 

"In my nearly 30 years of policing, I have never witnessed such a hateful act of treachery ... and zero regard for human life," Interim Police Supt. John Escalante said Tuesday during a news conference.

According to Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez, the murder was the result of a gang feud between two factions of the Gangster Disciples. Boone-Doty and his accomplices initially planned to kill Tyshawn's grandmother, she said. But when that didn't pan out, the men focused on Tyshawn because his father was a "ranking gang member."

"His original plan was to torture this child by kidnapping and cutting off his fingers and his ears," Alvarez said.

The men allegedly went out with guns daily looking for someone to shoot in retaliation after co-defendant Corey Morgan's brother was killed by gang gunfire. Boone-Doty was "on a killing spree with absolutely no sense of humanity," Alvarez said.

Police have already charged Morgan, 27, with murder in Tyshawn's shooting. A third suspect, Kevin Williams, is still at large.

"Last fall, Tyshawn Lee’s horrific murder shocked the collective conscience of our city," Mayor Rahm Emanuel said in a statement. "It was one of the most disturbing examples of the terrible toll that having too many gangs, too many guns and too few values has taken on our communities."

The boy's Nov. 2 murder shocked the city — and the story became even more stunning when police said it was no accident. Tyshawn was lured from a basketball game at Dawes Park by Boone-Doty, who dribbled the child's basketball for a few minutes and offered to buy the child whatever he wanted from the store before taking him into the alley and shooting him multiple times at close range, Alvarez said. Morgan and Williams allegedly looked on in a nearby SUV.

TRANSCRIPT: Police Describe Tyshawn Lee's Murder, Criminal Investigation

The gang feud came to a boil after an Oct. 13 shooting in which Morgan's brother, Tracey Morgan, was killed and his mother was wounded. Morgan was so enraged he threatened to shoot "grandmas, mamas, kids and all" in retaliation. Another man involved in Tyshawn's shooting said "everybody must die," according to prosecutors.

 Police and prosecutors announced charges against a man they said shot and killed 9-year-old Tyshawn Lee.
Tyshawn Lee Charges
View Full Caption

Though police maintain Tyshawn was killed due his father's gang ties, Pierre Stokes told DNAinfo he gave up gangbanging for his son. Stokes helped in the investigation, but he was initially reluctant, officials said.

Boone-Doty's brutality was further illustrated when prosecutors described how he killed Jenkins weeks before Tyshawn. On Oct. 18, Brianna Jenkins and Dashari Bowens were in a car in the 7800 block of South Honore Street when Boone-Doty passed by in different vehicle, according to Canellis.

Boone-Doty didn't see who was in the car, officials said Tuesday, but he saw dreadlocks and thought it might be a rival gang member. Boone-Doty got out and fired multiple shots into the car, killing Jenkins and wounding Bowens. Jenkins was not an intended target.

Boone-Doty later admitted that Jenkins started screaming when he began shooting, so he shot the woman to "instantly shut her up," prosecutors said.

When Boone-Doty later learned that Bowens didn't die, Boone-Doty tried to find the shooting victim at Advocate Christ Masonic Medical Center to finish the job — but he wasn't able to get in, prosecutors said.

Boone-Doty was later was arrested with multiple guns, according to Canellis. One of the weapons was a positive match to the gun that killed Jenkins and wounded Bowens.

Boone-Doty previously was convicted of drug and gun charges in 2013 and sentenced to five years in prison. He was sentenced to two years in prison for a 2011 drug and gun case.

As a juvenile, Boone-Doty was convicted of a gun charge in 2010 and sentenced to the Illinois Youth Center in suburban St. Charles.

Chief of Detectives Eugene Roy said Boone-Doty should not have been free and able to kill, and that that illustrates problems with the criminal justice system.

Police "will continue to hold gang members accountable time and time again," Roy said.

Emanuel thanked police in an emailed statement Tuesday.

"Long after the spotlight faded, the men and women of the Chicago Police Department remained dedicated to finding justice and their determination drove today's result," Rahm said.

For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: