CHICAGO — September 2015 will end as Chicago's worst so far this decade when it comes to gun violence.
Through midday Tuesday, at least 250 shootings resulted in 55 people getting killed and 288 other people getting shot, according to data compiled by DNAinfo.
Compared with September last year, shootings are up 38 percent, gun deaths are up 66 percent and the overall number of people wounded is up 47 percent.
The month started out violent with nine people being shot dead on Sept. 2, the deadliest full day in Chicago in 12 years.
The Tribune reports that this September was the city's most deadly since 2002.
But the two biggest incidents occurred this week, including one in which a dispute over gang territory likely led to the shooting of five people, including a baby, and led to the deaths of the baby's grandmother and pregnant mother.
"You have an innocent family coming home from a family outing, and somebody opens fire on two women, a child and two adults," said Deputy Chief Eugene Roy from the scene Monday night. "Coming home from a family outing, that's important. This family was attacked by unknown individuals."
Hours later in Fuller Park, five people were shot, three fatally, in a separate incident.
Anthony Guglielmi said the Deering police district had "a ton" of officers on the street through the weekend, which serves the area in which both of those incidents occurred.
"You can't ask any more of these cops," Guglielmi said. "They have their hearts and souls in this."
On Tuesday, Police Supt. Garry McCarthy held a news conference where he gave impassioned comments about Illinois' gun laws, which he has repeated throughout his tenure as Chicago's top cop.
"Because the sanctions from the gangs for losing the gun is greater than the sanction for being caught by the police and getting put through the criminal justice system," McCarthy said, "criminals are not held accountable."