CHICAGO — Chief Keef's canceled hologram concert is back on track.
The Stop the Killing Now concert is set for 10 p.m. Saturday, but its location is being kept a secret "because of past efforts by city officials to keep the charity event from happening," according to a news release from organizers Friday. The rapper will perform songs from his upcoming album, "Bang 3."
The concert is set to raise money for the family of a 13-month-old boy who was run over by a car, which police say was driven by a man who was fleeing a shooting that killed one of Keef's Glo Gang crew members, a rapper named Capo. Keef, whose real name is Keith Cozart, was to perform in California to avoid outstanding warrants while a hologram of him was projected in Chicago on July 17. Cozart and organizers said they planned to match donations made to the toddler's family.
Cozart's outstanding warrant is related to his failure to appear in court for a child support case.
The concert, originally set to take place at the Redmoon Theater in Pilsen, was canceled late last week when Redmoon pulled out. The cancellation reportedly came after pressure from Mayor Rahm Emanuel's office, which described the rapper as "an unacceptable role model" who "promotes violence."
Organizers fired back: Cozart posted an Instagram on Wednesday that features a short video with a voiceover that says, "Banned by the mayor of Chicago. Chief Keef from a secret Chicago location. Live via hologram," and the news release criticizes Emanuel.
"The city is burning while Rahm fiddles in Paris this week," said FilmOn CEO Alki David, according to the release. FilmOn organized the concert. "His effort to blame South Side devastation on an artist like Chief Keef would be laughable if it weren’t so blatant an effort to distract from his own inability to effect positive change.”
The concert also sparked backlash from notables like the Rev. Michael Pfleger of St. Sabina Church.
"Instead of having a concert...why doesn't he Man Up and acknowledge it's time to stop this violence and Apologize for his part in it!!!! we don't need a concert...we need PEACE......7 DEAD and 24 SHOT this weekend and he wants to do a concert.....Chief Keef....SHUT UP!!!!!" Pfleger wrote on Facebook.
David said Pfleger had "bullied" the owner of Redmoon to back out of the concert. Pfleger told DNAinfo Chicago that was untrue, and Redmoon said it pulled out because it did not understand the full nature of the event.
The concert will be featured online at filmon.tv, where viewers will be able to donate, according to the news release.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: