CHICAGO — At least 20 people have been wounded in shootings across the city since the evening of Fourth of July.
The shootings include an incident in which police shot and killed a suspected gang member in Portage Park and an incident in West Englewood in which suburban teenagers riding in a car may have been mistaken as gang members.
Additionally, there was a Mayfair shooting in which a bullet fell on a man's head during what may have been a July 4th celebration.
In other shootings:
• In East Side, a 26-year-old man was shot in his buttocks while riding in a car in the 9600 block of South Avenue L at 5:30 a.m. Saturday, according to preliminary information from police. The man is in good condition at Advocate Trinity Hospital.
• At 5:00 a.m. in Austin, a 33-year-old man was shot in his right leg while in the 5200 block of West Washington Boulevard, said Officer Janel Sedevic, a police spokeswoman. He is in good condition at Stroger Hospital, though has been uncooperative with police, who early Saturday morning had yet to find a crime scene.
• In the same neighborhood about a mile away at 3 a.m., a 33-year-old man was shot in his back and neck while he was walking in the 700 block of North Lavergne Avenue, Sedevic said.
The man got in an argument with people in a van, after which one person jumped out of the vehicle and punched him. Another shot the man, before the group got back in the van and fled north. The wounded man was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he is in guarded condition.
• A Little Village drive-by shooting left a 35-year-old man in critical condition, Sedevic said. The shooting occurred in the 2800 block of South Homan Avenue at 1:50 a.m. The man was shot multiple times in the body before being taken to Mount Sinai.
• In the 1800 block of South Allport Street in Pilsen, a 31-year-old man was wounded in hist shoulder during a drive-by shooting at 1:10 a.m. He took himself to Stroger., Sedevic said.
• In a Walgreens parking lot on the northwest corner of 63rd Street and Austin Avenue in Clearing at 1 a.m., a 30-year-old man was shot in his left abdomen, police said. A documented gang member, the man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center.
• In the 4400 block of South Fairfield Avenue in Brighton Park, a 17-year-old boy was shot in his ankle in a drive-by shooting at 12:30 a.m., Sedevic said. He was taken to Mount Sinai, where he is in good condition.
• In South Shore, a 26-year-old man was talking to someone else outside of a home in the 7600 block of South Oglesby Avenue when he was shot at by two people in dark-colored hoodies, police said. He was taken to South Shore hospital, where he is in stable condition after the shooting at 11:50 p.m. Friday. A documented gang member, the man was shot in his right arm and torso.
• At 11:15 p.m. in Austin, a 26-year-old man was shot in his leg while in the 5100 block of West Wabansia Avenue, Sedevic said. He is in good condition at Mount Sinai.
• Three men were shot while at a large party in Altgeld Gardens Friday night, Sedevic said. The shooting occurred in the 13200 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue about 10:50 p.m.
A 24-year-old man was shot in his buttocks and a 26-year-old man in his head. Both were taken to Christ.
Another 24-year-old man, shot in his back, was self-transported to Roseland Community Hospital before being transferred to Christ.
None of the three people shot say they saw the shooter or where the bullets came from.
• A 23-year-old woman and a 22-year-old man were shot while in the 11700 block of South Union Avenue in West Pullman, Sedevic said.
The incident occurred at 10:50 p.m. when the man was having an argument with the woman and shot into her car. After she was shot in her arm, her 24-year-old brother shot the man twice in his torso.
Both people shot were taken to Christ. Both men involved in the shooting are in police custody.
• In Englewood at 10:30 p.m., a 34-year-old woman was shot in her leg when four or five gunmen fired in her direction in the 7100 block of South Carpenter Street, Sedevic said. The woman was taken to Christ.
• In West Englewood, an 18-year-old man was shot in his stomach and taken to Stroger Hospital, Sedevic said. The shooting occurred at 6:30 p.m. in the 6700 block of South Wolcott Street.