Three Dead, 20 Wounded in Overnight Shootings
CHICAGO — Three people were killed and at least 20 others wounded in shootings Thursday night and Friday morning.
The most recent fatality occurred in the 3600 block of West Augusta Boulevard in Humboldt Park about 12:50 a.m. Friday, said Officer Amina Greer, a police spokeswoman.
Rubin Austin, 25, of the 1100 block of North Ridgeway Avenue, was shot in his chest and pelvis and taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:38 a.m., authorities said.
In Auburn Gresham, Shawntina Purpo, 29, was shot in her chest and stomach during a drive-by. Purpo, of the 7800 block of South Union Avenue, was standing in the 7900 block of South Wood Street when someone in a silver car opened fire about 11:55 p.m. Thursday, authorities said.
She was pronounced dead at 4:18 a.m. at Advocate Christ Medical Center, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.
Just before 7 p.m. Thursday, 36-year-old Johnny Tinsey was killed near his home in the 7700 block of South Sangamon Street in Auburn Gresham. Tinsey was shot multiple times and pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital at 7:37 p.m., authorities said.
No further details were immediately available, and no one was in custody for the murders.
In non-fatal shootings:
• Two men were shot in Greater Grand Crossing about 2 a.m. Friday, Greer said. A 23-year-old man was struck in his side and taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center, while a 28-year-old man was shot in his leg and treated at Stroger.
The men claim the shooting was a robbery gone wrong. Allegedly, the 23-year-old man was standing in the 100 block of East 75th Street when the 28-year-old pulled up in a light-colored car. He allegedly announced he was robbing the 23-year-old and pulled a gun, at which point the 23-year-old also pulled a gun. Shooting ensued.
• In Austin, a 21-year-old man was shot multiple times in his legs about 10:30 p.m. Thursday, said Officer Jose Estrada, a police spokesman. The man, whom cops called "a known gang member," was approached from behind in the 1600 block of North Luna Avenue. He was treated at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.
• About 10:15 p.m. Thursday, 13 people — including a 3-year-old boy and several teenagers — were injured in a single shooting in a Back of the Yards park, police said.
• In Englewood, a 28-year-old man was shot in his stomach about 7:15 p.m. Thursday, said Officer Michael Sullivan, a police spokesman. The victim was taken in serious condition to Stroger Hospital after the shooting, which occurred in the 5700 block of South Aberdeen Street.
• Two men were shot about 6:50 p.m. Thursday in the 5700 block of South Hamlin Avenue in West Elsdon, Sullivan said. A 24-year-old was grazed in his thigh, while a 26-year-old was shot in his stomach and treated at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
• About 6:35 p.m. Thursday, a teenager — whose age was not immediately available — was shot in his foot in the 700 block of West 72nd Street in Englewood, Sullivan said. He was listed in good condition.