CHICAGO — Two police alerts issued Monday warned residents in Jefferson Park and Norwood Park of a string of store robberies and home burglaries that have hit the area in the last month.
In each robbery, a man brandished a knife and demanded cash and cigarettes from the register, police said.
The first incident happened about 3:15 am. on Friday in the 6200 block of North Sayre Avenue, police said.
The second robbery was reported at 4:26 p.m. Sunday in the 6000 block of West Higgins Avenue.
The robber was described as a white or white Hispanic man in his early 20s, between 5-feet-9 and 6 feet, and weighing 180 to 200 pounds. He was seen wearing "an orange sweatshirt with stripes on sleeves, black pants, white gym shoes, gray and black knit hat with a white bandana," police said.
Police issued a separate alert about a series of home burglaries. In those crimes, someone got inside through a door or window and stole "electronics, jewelry, cash and other miscellaneous items," according to the alert.
The burglaries were reported at the following times and locations:
• 1-5 p.m. on July 25 in the 5000 block of North Major Avenue
• At 6 p.m. on July 25 in the 5600 block of West Leland Avenue
• Between 10 p.m. on Aug. 5 and 11 p.m. Aug. 6 in the 4500 block of North Mobile Avenue
• Between 11 a.m. and midnight on Aug. 12 in the 5500 block of North Mobile Avenue
• Between 4 p.m. and 11 p.m. on Aug. 13 in the 5800 block of North Elston Avenue
• At 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 20 in the 5700 block of North Manton Avenue
Anyone with information on the incidents or suspects is asked to call detectives at 312-744-8263.