The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Police Have Strong Leads In 31st St. Beach Shooting Of 2 Teens: Ald. King

By  Kelly Bauer and Sam Cholke | June 12, 2017 4:52am | Updated on June 16, 2017 11:19am

CHICAGO — Two teen boys were shot and wounded at 31st Street Beach on Sunday, police said.

At 7 p.m., the teens were at the beach in the 3100 block of South Lake Shore Drive when they got into a fight with someone and the other person took out a gun and fired shots, police said.

One boy was hit in his neck and the other was hit in his legs. They were taken to Northwestern Hospital in critical condition, police said.

No one was in custody.

Nikki Hayes, owner of the Pier 31 restaurant at the harbor, said she and her staff were disturbed by the sudden violence at the beach and says she wants to know what city leaders are planning to do to make sure people are safe.

"We will, and are, doing all that we can to ensure the safety of our patrons and partners," Hayes said. "We also look to our city leaders to ensure that the underlying causes of gun violence are addressed, and that the residents and establishments in this great city see their role in stemming and preventing this type of action from happening."

Ald. Sophia King (4th) called the shooting another example of senseless violence causing unrest in the city.

"Traditionally, the summer represents a time for outdoor enjoyment of warm weather and friends, however, given the ongoing episodes of violence, families and children are left to question is anyplace safe," King said. "As concerned community members, we need to work collectively to create alternatives to violence, partner with law enforcement to safeguard our streets and stand against the perpetrators of violence."

She said she was told by police that witnesses stepped up and the police now have strong leads.

One person at the beach, Theo Martin, told ABC7 that the gunshots "sounded like firecrackers."

"We come here every summer and nothing like this ever happens. It's usually an older crowd," Tammi Williams-Paige told the station. "It was shocking."

The Tribune said that not long after the shooting, a helicopter flew over the beach repeatedly asking the public to leave the 31st Street lakefront spot. Many did, but some lingered.

A mid-April shooting at the beach left a man and another wounded.