CHICAGO — This summer, you'll notice a familiar face making repeat appearances in Wicker Park's namesake park's movie series: Nicolas Cage.
Wormhole Coffee, 1462 N Milwaukee Ave., helps sponsor the annual summer film series, and owner Travis Schaffner said his staff was united in choosing a theme for this year.
"Honestly the entire Wormhole staff and extended family is a huge fan of all of [Cage's]... overacting," Schaffner said. "It's cathartic for us, watching these worst/best movies. I mean, they are terrible but we love them just the same."
Schaffner said his personal favorite Cage flick is "Vampire's Kiss," which he described as "completely insane." He also digs "The Rock" and "Con Air" for its timeless quotability.
Put... the bunny... back... in the box.
Here's the lineup. All movies at 1425 N. Damen Ave. in Wicker Park
• June 15 - "Moonstruck": Watch Cage play Ronny, Cher's unlikely love interest with a wooden hand and a penchant for white tank tops. 8:30-10:12 p.m.
• June 29 - "Raising Arizona": Cage plays H.I. McDunnough, an ex-con with a heart of gold and a sweet 'stache. 8:30-10:04 p.m.
• July 6 - "National Treasure": Cage is a treasure-hunting historian-slash-cryptologist who gets on-screen smooch time with Diane Kruger. 8:30-10:41 p.m.
• July 20- "The Wicker Man": Oh hey! Wicker Man! Wicker Park! Sorry. Rotten Tomatoes says "Nicolas Cage gives the worst performance of his career" in this "useless update" of the 1973 suspense thriller about a missing girl. 8:15-9:57 p.m.
• August 24- "Gone in 60 Seconds" — Cage plays a legendary car thief who comes out if retirement to pull a massive heist in an effort to save his brother from a crime lord. You know, the usual. Bonus: 2000-era Angelina Jolie as his love interest named "Sway." 8-9:58 p.m.