ROGERS PARK — One of the most superstitious days of the year is also among the luckiest for tattoo-seekers: Friday the 13th.
Many ink parlors across the country participate in the time-honored tradition of Friday the 13th discounts, usually allowing customers to choose from sheets of flash — the pre-made designs painted on posters that appear throughout shops.
The number 13 has long been associated with luck, both good and bad, depending on the culture and context in which it's being used.
Typical Friday the 13th flash ranges from small illustrations that integrate into them the number 13 to pieces that call back to the famous horror flick franchise of the same name.
Here are six places in Chicago where you can snag a permanent good luck charm for less.
1. Taylor Street Tattoo, 1150 W. Taylor St: Taylor Street Tattoo in Little Italy, one of the city's most unique places to get inked, is holding a 24-hour tattoo marathon from midnight Thursday to midnight Friday. The event will showcase hundreds of flash items containing the No. 13 for $20, plus tip, as part of a Friday the 13th party. Want the tattoo without the 13? Then you'll pay the full $60 shop minimum. "That's the point," according to the shop. Tattoos are walk-ins only, and expect a line. But don't worry — The Coffee Alley cafe next door will be on hand to keep waiting Taylor Street customers warm and caffeinated.
2. Twisted Tattoo Studio, 4168 N. Elston Ave.: This Irving Park neighborhood tattoo shop is offering two options — a series of smaller tattoos for $13 that include black plus one color, or larger tattoos for $31 that can contain two colors (on top of the black). Add on a $7 and $9 tip, respectively, and that's a pretty sweet deal. Tattoos start at 11 a.m. and the shop is cash only.
3. Pink Rhino Tattoo & Body Piercing, 3519 N. Halsted St: A tattoo shop with artists of choice for stars like Lady Gaga, Pink Rhino in Lakeview is slashing its prices down to $31 for tattoos and piercings. The store opens at noon and tattoos are first-come, first-served.
4. Head 2 Toe Tattoo, 3008 W. Lawrence Ave.: Another devilish deal comes from Head 2 Toe Tattoo in Albany Park, which is inking customers with flash for $20 beginning at 1 p.m.
5. The Hard Core Element Tattoo Shop, 3265 S. Archer Ave: From noon until "whenever the line stops" Friday, McKinley Park's The Hard Core Element Tattoo Shop is offering 3-inch-by-3-inch tattoos with two colors and relatively simple, custom designs for $13.
6. Mind Crusher Tattoo, 6705 N. Clark St: Mind Crusher in Rogers Park offers daily tattoo specials, and on Fridays customers can get $300 worth of art for $150, or a $200 tattoo for $80. The shop is open from 11 a.m.-11 p.m.