MORGAN PARK — McNally's, a neighborhood tavern in Morgan Park, perhaps could benefit from an editor for its marquee at 11136 S. Western Ave.
The South Side watering hole has a history of poking fun at Chicago Cubs fans and kept with its tradition this weekend, posting a south-facing sign that read "We Don't Waiver. Go Giants."
Howard Ludwig talks about McNally's unwavering allegiance.
The sign likely resulted in a few cheers from fans of the Chicago White Sox — as well as some sneers from high school English teachers. You see, McNally's messed up by using the word "waiver."
According to Merriam-Webster's online dictionary:
1) the act of choosing not to use or require something that you are allowed to have or that is usually required
2) an official document indicating that someone has given up a right or requirement
In this case, the correct version of the word is:
1) to go back and forth between choices or opinions: to be uncertain about what you think about something or someone
2) to move back and forth in an unsteady way
3) to become unsteady because of weakness, emotion, tiredness, etc.
Besides posting anti-Cubs rhetoric, McNally's also uses its marquee to congratulate local sports teams, recent retirees and newlyweds. Neighborhood events also are advertised on the sign.
So perhaps the owner of the bar merely was giving folks a subtle lesson in grammar this week, as the north-facing sign reads, "Conrgats Molly & Kevin."
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here.