The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Armed Robbers Responsible for May 2015 Murder, Prosecutors Say

 Left to right: Terrence Hogan, Khalil Powell, Kamari Belmont
Left to right: Terrence Hogan, Khalil Powell, Kamari Belmont
View Full Caption
Chicago Police Department

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — Three men have been charged in the May 2015 murder of Sorrell Marshall.

Marshall, 40, was shot five times in his groin and leg during an armed robbery in the 3700 block of South Vincennes Avenue about 2 a.m. May 1, 2015, Assistant State's Attorney April Gonzales said during a bond hearing Thursday.

He died of his wounds on May 23, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.

Three men — Kamari Belmont, 22, Terrence Hogan, 22, and Khalil Powell, 20 — were charged this week with first-degree murder. It's not clear why there was a delay in filing charges.

According to prosecutors, the trio robbed Marshall and a 20-year-old woman as the pair walked to the woman's Douglas apartment about 2 a.m. May 1.

Belmont reached into the woman's coat pocket without her permission, stealing an iPhone, charger, Old Navy credit card and wallet, Gonzales said. Hogan, meanwhile, allegedly pointed a semiautomatic gun at Marshall.

When Marshall tried to sway away the gun, prosecutors said, Hogan began shooting, striking Marshall four times in his groin.

According to Gonzales, Powell drove the getaway car, a gray four-door sedan.

At one point, Marshall tried to throw himself on the hood of the car to prevent it from leaving, prosecutors said. Marshall eventually fell to the ground, and Hogan allegedly shot him one more time in the thigh before Hogan, Powell and Belmont got away.

Marshall was taken to Stroger Hospital and underwent surgery, Gonzales said. He would later die as a result of his injuries on May 23.

About an hour after the shooting, Belmont, Hogan and Powell robbed two more people at gunpoint in the South Loop, prosecutors said. The attack happened in the first block of East 21st Street, about two miles from the scene of the fatal shooting.

Hogan and Belmont again approached the victims while Powell waited in the car, Gonzales said.

Belmont pointed a gun at a 38-year-old man and stole a wallet and cellphone, according to prosecutors. The victim's 37-year-old companion, meanwhile, ran away screaming and was eventually able to flag down police, who heard a commotion.

Using a Find My iPhone app, the two victims in the South Loop robbery were able to direct police to the 500 block of West 43rd Street, Gonzales said. Officers found Belmont, Hogan and Powell still sitting inside the gray sedan.

When the trio got out of the car, police noticed that Belmont had a gun tucked into his waistband, Gonazles said. Belmont allegedly lunged at one of the officers, who fired his own gun, striking Belmont in the arm and chest area, she added.

Belmont then ran off, prosecutors said, dropping behind him a loaded 9-mm handgun with an extended clip with a 30-round capacity. The gun was loaded with 22 live rounds, including one in the chamber, Gonzales said.

Ballistics testing would later reveal that the gun was the same one used to fatally shoot Marshall, according to authorities.

Police arrested Hogan and Powell on the scene, where officers recovered a cellphone from the second robbery.

Police arrested Belmont a short while later after he checked himself into Mercy Hospital with a gunshot wound, prosecutors said.

Cook County Judge Donald Panarese Jr. on Thursday set Hogan's bail at $2 million and Powell's bail at $75,000. Belmont is expected to appear before the judge for a bond hearing Friday.

For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: