GARFIELD PARK — Students from six CPS schools will gather in Garfield Park April 9 for a soccer tournament and scavenger hunt around the Garfield Park Conservatory.
Schools in Logan Square, North Lawndale and Englewood will join three Garfield Park schools in sending kindergartners through fourth-graders to participate in the event, according to leaders within the outdoor youth group Urban Initiatives, which is organizing it.
Organizers said the program, called the Embrace Chicago Cup, was drawn up to connect students and their families with resources they may not have known existed.
The Conservatory "is something that's been in Garfield Park for a long time, and it's part of the fabric of the community," said Rebecca Martinson, the senior program manager for Urban Initiatives. "It's a good opportunity to engage kids at an early age in conversations about how plants grow, and how we get the things we eat."
Martinson said she hopes to make Embrace Chicago Cup a yearly event.
Students from the following six schools will be invited April 9:
• Morton School of Excellence, 431 N. Troy St.
• Jacob Beidler Elementary School, 3151 W. Walnut St.
• Farraday Elementary School, 3250 W. Monroe St.
• Providence Englewood Charter School, 6515 S. Ashland Ave.
• Lawndale Community Academy, 3500 W. Douglas Blvd.
• Goethe Elementary School, 2236 N. Rockwell St.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: