The donation will purchase five bulletproof vests for officers in the Chicago Police Department’s Chicago Lawn District.
Get Behind the Vest is a fundraising effort with a $4 million goal to help purchase 8,000 replacement bulletproof vests for Chicago police officers. Since its launch in September 2014, more than $1.55 million has been raised and 2,757 new vests have been distributed.
According to the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation, the average life span of a bulletproof vest is 5-10 years, and officers are responsible for replacing their own vests at an average cost of about $500.
Houston-based Dignity Memorial is North America’s largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services. Some 22 funeral homes, cemeteries and others within the network contributed to the donation. Local contributors included:
• Ridge Funeral Home, 6620 W. Archer Ave., Garfield Ridge
• Malec & Sons Funeral Home, 6000 N. Milwaukee Ave., Norwood Park
• Funeraria del angel Sagrado Corazon, 5218 S. Kedzie Ave., Gage Park
• Oakwoods Cemetery, 1035 E. 67th St, Grand Crossing
• Andrew J McGann & Sons Funeral Home, 10727 S. Pulaski Road, Mount Greenwood
For more information on the campaign and how to donate visit getbehindthevest.org
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: