ROGERS PARK — Morse Avenue in Rogers Park, defined by intersecting Red Line tracks, has changed since the early 1900s.
The strip was once a suburban enclave, but now is a bustling urban center, transportation hub and a major artery of business for the city's northernmost neighborhood.
A collection of old photographs taken between 1910 and 1989, reveal Morse through the years. The Rogers Park/West Ridge Historical Society made them available to readers of DNAinfo Chicago.
Morse Avenue Shoe Repair, date unknown
Morse Avenue, looking west from "L" platform, circa July 11, 1974
Co-Ed Theater (1930-54) and Congregation Beth Israel circa 1960s (now Mayne Stage)
1500 W. Morse Ave. (Halliburton Hotel) in 1970
"L" car 740 in 1910 at Rogers Park station, now Morse Station
Elevated tracks in 1940
Kiosk within the Morse Station in 1987
Morse Station in 1987
Morse Station from the west in 1989
Morse Avenue scene (date unknown)
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: