RAVENSWOOD — They had us at "free hot chocolate."
The highlight of Saturday's Ravenswood Holiday Walk, featuring more than a dozen small businesses along Montrose, Damen and Ravenswood, is sure to be an appearance by none other than Santa Claus himself. But there are plenty of enticements for adults, too, like free beverages, live music and merchandise discounts.
A number of shops along the walk are also collecting food and clothing for the needy, including pets. Donations, accepted not just during the walk but through Dec. 31, will benefit Ravenswood Community Services and the Lincoln Square Friendship Center.
The Holiday Walk is scheduled for noon-5 p.m., with Santa making his first appearance at 1 p.m. at Begyle Brewing, 1800 W. Cuyler Ave.
St. Nick will wind his way up Ravenswood, Montrose, Damen and Lawrence avenues before finishing up his day at Dolce Casa Cafe, 4947 N. Damen Ave. (See map.)
Special Holiday Walk deals and entertainment:
- Neighborly, 2003 W. Montrose Ave.: Santa at 1:20 p.m. If you miss the bearded one's visit, stop in with the kids anyway and have them write a letter to Santa. Neighborly will make sure the wish lists get delivered to the North Pole.
- Sweet Sensations Pastry, 1918 W. Montrose Ave.: Santa at 1:40 p.m. Collecting food donations.
- Beans & Bagels Montrose, 1812 W. Montrose Ave.: Santa at 2 p.m. Free peppermint hot cocoa for kids, holiday music. Collecting canned food donations.
- Margie's Candy, 1813 W. Montrose Ave.: Santa at 2:20 p.m. Free hot chocolate. Collecting food donations.
- Lillstreet Art Center, 4401 N. Ravenswood Ave.: Santa at 2:40 p.m. Mention "RCC" or "Shop Ravenswood" and receive 5 percent off a single item bought from the gallery shop. Collecting food and clothing donations.
- Urban Pooch, 4501 N. Ravenswood Ave.: Santa at 3:05 p.m. Pet portraits by a caricature artists, as well as specials throughout the store. Collecting pet food donations.
- Savvy Seconds, 1748 W. Lawrence Ave.: Santa at 3:25 p.m. Get 20 percent off all clothing when you mention the promotional code "ho, ho, ho."
- Dolce Case Cafe: Santa at 3:45 p.m. Collecting winter clothing.
- Eye See Ravenswood, 4735 N. Damen Ave.: Take 20 percent off sunglasses. Collecting clothing donations.
- 4 Legs Pet Products, 4725 N. Damen Ave.: Get 10 percent off purchases. Collecting pet food donations.
- Celtica Gifts, 1940 W. Montrose Ave.: Enjoy free chocolates and cookies while browsing.
- Eats and Sweets, 1636 W. Montrose Ave.: Swing by for free hot chocolate or tea with a mini-gingerbread cookie.
- Ravenswood Fitness Center, 1958 W. Montrose Ave.: After all that hot chocolate, how about a free fitness class? Stop in anytime during the walk; class schedule is posted here. Collecting food and clothing donations.
- Ravenswood Used Books, 2005 W. Montrose Ave.: Live music 1-3 p.m. by vocalist Nino Arobelidze, whose style blends pop, jazz and soul.
- Turin Bicycle, 4710 N. Damen Ave.: Offering free treats and 25 percent off select items.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: