HYDE PARK — Sixty fire trucks, ambulances and other vehicles responded to an electrical fire in a Hyde Park high-rise building Monday afternoon, officials said.
The building was evacuated after an electrical transformer caught fire at 4 p.m., filling hallways with smoke, according to John McNicholas, deputy fire commissioner.
"It was the scariest thing you've ever seen," said Sarah Jane Jackson, 3, who lives with her parents Matthew Jackson and Nina Dubin in the University of Chicago staff and faculty housing.
Dubin said firefighters in gas masks were already eight floors up as she and her family fled down the stairs.
Five firefighters were hospitalized for heat exhaustion. Three adults and one child from the building were also hospitalized, but none of the reported injuries were life-threatening, according to McNicholas.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: