CHICAGO — Nine people were shot, one fatally, in shootings citywide since Friday night.
A 19-year-old man walking with some friends was shot fatally in his chest about 7:05 p.m. Friday night near West Chatham Park in the 8200 block of South Princeton Avenue, said Officer Janel Sedevic, a police spokeswoman.
The group was approached by three men, including one with a gun. A fight ensued and the 19-year-old was shot in his chest.
Tremaine Scott, of the 9300 block of South Calumet Avenue in Roseland, was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital at 8:06 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.
In nonfatal shootings:
• A 23-year-old man is in stable condition at Advocate Christ Hospital after being shot in the buttocks in the 10100 block of South Parnell Avenue, in Fernwood. The 3:20 p.m. shooting appeared to be gang related, said Officer Veejay Zala, a police spokesman.
• A 31-year-old man is in good condition after being shot in the leg near the 5400 block of South Ashland Avenue in New City about 1:10 p.m. He was taken to Holy Cross Hospital, said Zala.
• An 18-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man were shot while in a car in Humboldt Park, Sedevic said.
The shooting occurred at 3:40 a.m. Saturday in the 800 block of North Kedzie Avenue. A white car pulled up against the passenger side of their car. The duo drove themselves to Mount Sinai Hospital, where the woman's shoulder wound and man's injury to his right arm have both become "stable."
• Three of four people riding in a blue Buick SUV, including a pregnant woman, were shot while the car was exiting onto 71st Street while exiting the southbound side of the Dan Ryan Expressway, Illinois State Police said.
• A 16-year-old boy is in critical condition after being shot multiple times in his body while in the 1800 block of South Central Park Avenue in North Lawndale, Sedevic said. After the 12:30 a.m. shooting, he was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital. Additional details were unavailable because the boy wasn't able to talk about what happened.
Those shootings follow incidents earlier Friday that included the death of a 21-year-old man in Austin and an incident in Roseland where police say a teenage boy shot his girlfriend accidentally while showing her a gun.