The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Daughter of Slain UPS Worker Says Teen Charged 'Should Have Been in Bed'

By Erin Meyer | November 14, 2013 11:45pm | Updated on November 15, 2013 3:26pm
  Michael Sullivan, 53, was heading to the train when he was killed, family said. Police said it could've been a robbery.
Michael Sullivan
View Full Caption

COOK COUNTY COURTHOUSE — A 16-year-old boy — the grandson of a retired postal worker — is being held on $1 million bail for his alleged involvement in the slaying of Michael Sullivan, a longtime UPS employee shot on his way to work earlier this week.

The teen, Rayshon Williams, was ordered held Friday after he and a yet-to-be charged co-offender allegedly tried to rob and then allegedly shot Sullivan.

"This kid is only a year older than his grandson. It saddens me that it's a kid that did this," LaToya Griffin, the victim's oldest daughter, said Friday at the Cook County Courthouse. "They should have been in bed ... getting ready for school, not outside looking to rob someone."

That's what prosecutors said Williams and an unidentified co-offender were doing as they drove around West Garfield Park.

They "were looking for someone to rob," said Assistant State's Attorney Sara Ondera, as Williams gazed downward.

Prosecutors said that Williams and the other suspect saw Sullivan, 53, walking to the "L" in the 4200 block of West Lake Street. The grandfather and 32-year employee of UPS sorted boxes on a midnight shift at the company's Near West Side customer center at 1500 S. Jefferson St.

Prosecutors said Williams got out of a car and approached Sullivan, grabbed his arm and demanded money. Sullivan pulled away, and the would-be robber returned to the car.

The other suspect then followed Sullivan in the car, put it in park, got out and shot him, prosecutors said.

Williams, who lives with his grandmother — a retired post office worker — was charged as an adult with first-degree murder, attempted robbery, possession of a stolen vehicle and criminal damage to government property, prosecutors said.

Sullivan was pronounced dead on the scene at 11:26 p.m.

The shooting was caught on surveillance video, officials said, and Williams allegedly admitted to his role.

LaToya Griffin said her father walked through the neighborhood to work the night shift for many years but was never afraid.

"He felt safe," said the young mother, tears welling in her eyes. "I think he felt like God was with him. I still believe God was with him that night."