The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Prosser Soccer Player Punches Referee in Head During Playoff, IHSA Says

By Josh McGhee | October 28, 2013 4:39pm | Updated on October 28, 2013 5:19pm
 Prosser Career Academy, home of the Falcons, located in Belmont Cragin.
Prosser Career Academy, home of the Falcons, located in Belmont Cragin.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Justin Breen

CHICAGO — A Prosser Career Academy boys soccer player punched a referee twice, including once in the head, during a regional final game against Amundsen High School, leading to a forfeit and forthcoming sanctions.

The unnamed player swore at the game official about "a foul not being called during play," according to a statement released Monday by the Illinois High School Association.

The match was immediately suspended as police and paramedics intervened, according to the IHSA. The official was treated and released. A police report was filed, but the official did not press charges, the statement said.

Amundsen was declared the winner by forfeit. There were two minutes left in regulation with the game tied at 1-1, according to the IHSA. The Class 2A game was played Friday at Chicago Academy High School.

“This is a deplorable action that has no place in athletics at any level,” IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman said in the statement.

“Game officials deserve to be treated with the highest levels of respect by coaches, players, administrators and fans. Unfortunately, though, they are subject to far more scrutiny than is warranted. As this happens and perspective is lost, the value of the interscholastic experience is diminished and ruined.”

Amundsen advanced to the sectional semifinals, where it will face host Ridgewood on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.

Prosser Principal Kenneth Hunter was not in attendance at the game, but said he heard about the incident Monday morning.

"The young man's conduct is being addressed appropriately by the Student Code of Conduct," Hunter said.

Hunter would not elaborate on the punishment noting it would violate the code of conduct.

Prosser Athletic Director Martin Walsh would not discuss the incident Monday. 

"I can't really comment on that because we have ongoing disciplinary action," he said.

Chicago Public Schools officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The IHSA is still investigating the incident, and will announce sanctions after its review.

"I realize that across all IHSA sports, nearly all of our contests are played without incident," Hickman said. "However, these types of actions are unacceptable. It is especially troubling given what occurred in Utah this summer."

A youth league soccer referee in Taylorsville, Utah, died in April after being punched in the head by a 17-year-old player. The player involved was charged with homicide.