SOUTH CHICAGO — Family said Vershonda Marshall spent her last night on earth doing what she loved: spending time with friends and dancing.
Marshall, of the 8700 block of South Burley Avenue, died Sunday morning after getting caught in a house fire in Bronzeville.
The fire broke out in a two-story home in the 4100 block of South Berkley Avenue about 8:15 a.m. Sunday, fire officials said.
Three people escaped the blaze, but Marshall, 41, was found unconscious on the second floor of the home and rushed to the University of Chicago Hospital. She was pronounced dead at 8:58 a.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.
Stephanie Roberts, who lives near Marshall, said the two were practically sisters.
"I don't have any blood sisters," Roberts said Monday morning. "I loved her. She was my everything."
Roberts said Marshall, a mother of three, was gorgeous, confident and loved by everybody.
"Everybody that knows my sister has five or 10 stories to tell," Roberts said. "She was a beautiful person."
Roberts said she was with Marshall Saturday night. The two were at a birthday party for Marshall's girlfriend's brother. Roberts left with friends and said Marshall slept over at the house.
Roberts said she is still in shock.
"I feel like somebody stole my air," Roberts said. "She was my angel. ... I say it's OK because I know she busted the gates of heaven open, dancing."
Marshall worked at Jackson Park Hospital as a medical assistant and later in an administrative role. She left Jackson Park Hospital to work as an office manager for a doctor in Blue Island.
Co-workers, friends and family all said Monday Marshall had a big heart and a magnetic personality. Roberts said she also loved going out and dancing.
"She loved line dancing, and everyone would just be watching her because she was so confident," Roberts said.
Fire officials said Monday night they haven't discovered the cause of the blaze.