The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Four Men Wounded in 'Terrortown' Shooting

By Darryl Holliday | February 7, 2013 4:06pm | Updated on February 7, 2013 7:13pm

CHICAGO — Four men were wounded in a shooting in South Shore Thursday afternoon, police said.

The shooting occurred about 3:15 p.m. in the 2500 block of East 75th Street, said officer Jose Estrada, a police spokesman.

The four men were standing in the doorway of a store when two cars pulled up, and people began firing from within both, said Officer Daniel O'Brien, a police spokesman.

Afterward, about 12 shell casings remained on the ground.

Members of Cease Fire were on the scene in what's known as "Terrortown" more than two hours later and called the shooting "an ongoing conflict between rival cliques."

"School had just let out — there were kids around," said Ulysses "U.S." Floyd, an outreach supervisor with the South Chicago/South Shore Cease Fire. "We're trying to bring these guys together now to stop this."

Floyd, a self-described former gangbanger, gestured to a nearby wall to point out a prominent gang symbol.

"It's a learned trait," he said, "They follow uncles, brothers, fathers into it — this is what they know.

"It's a hard cycle to break but that's what we're here to do. And tomorrow we'll be back out here talking to them."

Three victims were taken in serious to critical condition to nearby hospitals, fire officials said.

An 18-year-old was shot in the back and the leg and taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in stable condition, O'Brien said.

A 41-year-old man with a graze wound to the leg and a 28-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the leg were taken to Stroger Hospital in good condition, police said.

The fourth victim, a 28-year-old man, was shot in both legs at taken to Jackson Park Hospital, O'Brien siad.

In a separate shooting in Back of the Yards, a man was wounded in his left side, police said.

The 19-year-old was shot about 5 p.m. in the 2300 block of West 50th Place, police said.

His condition was not immediately available. He was unresponsive on the scene, police said. Police were not able to say if the man had died.