Twelve Shot, One Fatally, in Overnight Violence
CHICAGO — A 17-year-old boy is dead and at least 11 others were wounded in shootings across the city overnight, police said.
In the most recent nonfatal shooting, a 20-year-old man walked into Jackson Park Hospital about 4:20 a.m. and told police he was shot after an argument with three men in the 7900 block of South Maryland Avenue in Avalon Park. He was listed in stable condition, said Officer Ron Gaines, a police spokesman.
• At 3:53 a.m., a 37-year-old man was shot while walking home in the 9300 block of South Greenwood in Burnside. He didn't hear anything before he realized he was shot in the elbow and back. He was taken to Trinity Hospital in serious condition, Gaines said.
• At 2:55 a.m., a 21-year-old woman was shot in the knee while walking in the 3000 block of West Lyndale Avenue in Palmer Square. She was listed in good condition at Norwegian Hospital, Gaines said.
• Two 23-year-old men were shot in the Heart of Chicago neighborhood Saturday night. The shooting occurred around 2:40 a.m. at the intersection of 18th Place and Paulina Avenue. The first man was shot in his stomach and the second his buttocks. Both men were in stable condition at Stroger Hospital, Gaines said.
• Around the same time, two other people were shot in the 5600 block of South Emerald Avenue in Englewood. A 20-year-old woman was in stable condition at Mount Sinai Hospital after being shot in the side, and a 38-year-old man was in serious condition at the University of Chicago Hospital after being shot in both legs. The two people were standing on a porch when three men approached from out of the gangway and fired shots, Gaines said.
• A 23-year-old man was shot playing basketball in the 2900 block of South Poplar Avenue in Bridgeport. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition after being shot in his knee and buttocks. The shooting occurred around 11:10 p.m., said Gaines.
• Around 10:30 p.m., a 33-year-old man was shot in the 5700 block of South Racine Avenue in Englewood. The man was standing on the block when a light colored pickup approached and fired shots striking him in the buttocks, said Gaines.
The shooting was possibly gang related, and Area South detectives are investigating, said Gaines.
Seventeen-year-old Brandon Peterson was shot to death while walking in East Garfield Park shortly after midnight.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: