Prosecutors: Drive-by That Killed Boy, 15, Was Gang Retaliation

By Erica Demarest and Quinn Ford  on February 6, 2014 11:14am  | Updated on February 6, 2014 4:20pm

 Andres Guerra (l.) and Martin Miranda (r.), both 19, were charged with first-degree murder.
Andres Guerra (l.) and Martin Miranda (r.), both 19, were charged with first-degree murder.
View Full Caption
Chicago Police Department

CHICAGO — Two teens have been charged in the Jan. 26 slaying of a 15-year-old boy in Little Village.

Martin Miranda, 19, of the 2500 block of South Trumbull Avenue, and Andres Guerra, 19, of the 2700 block of South Lombard Avenue in west suburban Cicero, each face one count each of first-degree murder.

According to prosecutors and police, 15-year-old Miguel Navarrette was standing near a car in the 4100 block of West 30th Street about 4:45 p.m. on Jan. 26 when a dark-colored SUV pulled up.

Prosecutors said the driver — who witnesses identified as Guerra — rolled down his window and yelled "Two-Six," referring to a gang in the neighborhood.

Navarrette responded "What?" said Assistant State's Attorney Jamie Santini. At that point, a passenger in the back seat — later identified by witnesses as Miranda — opened his door and pulled out a sawed-off shotgun.

Miranda shot Navarrette, who fell to the ground, prosecutors said. Miranda then pointed his gun at two adults and two children, ages 3 and 7, who had been sitting inside a car near Navarrette, before swinging his gun back to the teen and shooting him two more times, prosecutors said.

Navarrette, who lived in the 2800 block of South Karlov Avenue, was pronounced dead on the scene at 5:24 p.m., authorities said.

A police source confirmed that Navarrette and the two suspects were members of rival gangs. Navarrette's family declined to comment.

Miranda identified himself as a Latin Kings gang member, according to prosecutors and police reports. Miranda allegedly told police the shooting was in retaliation for the murder of a fellow Latin King, prosecutors said.

After the shooting, Guerra sped off, prosecutors said, striking a pedestrian with his SUV as he went.

Witnesses identified Guerra and Miranda, who were arrested this week, police said.

Donning a Cubs sweatshirt and khaki pants, Miranda appeared in bond court Thursday in front of Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr.

Bourgeois ordered Miranda, whose nickname is "Scrappy" according to police reports, held without bail.

Guerra, who appeared in bond court Wednesday, was ordered held on $1 million bond, according to records.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement