EDGEWATER — Streets throughout Edgewater will be torn up this construction season as the city races to replace aging water mains and repair pothole-ridden streets.
The biggest project, and likely to be the most headache-inducing for commuters, is slated for Sheridan Road from the end of Lake Shore Drive, at Hollywood Avenue, all the way to Devon Avenue.
Although the city hasn't nailed down a timeframe yet to resurface the well-used street, it should coincide with a water main replacement from Thorndale Avenue to Devon Avenue, which is scheduled for October, according to the 48th Ward's alderman office.
The first test of the neighborhood's patience begins Tuesday, June 25, when crews are scheduled to begin replacing a water main under Granville Avenue, from Clark Street to Glenwood Avenue.
The main, installed in 1892, should take about 10 weeks to replace, said Dave Luna, the chief of staff for Ald. Harry Osterman (48th).
Luna and the contractor hired to carry out the project met with neighbors this week at Hayt Elementary School on Granville Avenue to discuss details, which offered a snapshot of what to expect in other areas slated for water main replacements.
There will be at least two water shutoffs in the area and residents will get 24-hour notice for each. The first shutoff could last up to four hours when water is shifted from the old pipes to the new, and the second should last about hour when each home is hooked up to the main.
Parking and traffic will be restricted from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday during construction.
Other Edgewater water main replacements:
- Granville Avenue, from Clark Street to Glenwood Avenue (Start date: June 25)
- Greenview Avenue, from Thome Avenue to Granville Avenue (June 25)
- Gregory Street, from Clark Street to Glenwood Avenue (June 25)
- Bryn Mawr Avenue, from Glenwood Avenue to Winthrop Avenue (July 1)
- Ardmore Avenue, from North Broadway to Winthrop Avenue (July 15)
- Magnolia Avenue, from Elmdale Avenue to Ridge Avenue (Aug. 5)
- Thorndale Avenue, from Greenview Avenue to North Broadway (Aug. 5)
- Rosedale Avenue, from Glenwood Avenue to Magnolia Avenue (Aug. 5)
- North Broadway, from Balmoral Avenue to Foster Avenue (Aug. 5)
- Sheridan Road, from Thorndale Avenue to Devon Avenue (Oct. 7)