CHICAGO — Six people were hospitalized after workers at a Loop high rise mixed acid and chlorine, officials said.
At about 10 a.m. Friday, Fire Department responders were called to 77 W. Wacker Drive for the hazmat situation, said department spokesman Larry Merritt.
Workers on the roof of the building had mixed acid and chlorine, causing a reaction, Merritt said.
Four people were taken to Northwestern Hospital and two were taken to Rush Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, Merritt said. The six were having "respiratory issues," Merritt said. One person refused to be hospitalized.
The incident was "secured" and the building turned back over to its managers, Merritt said.