Quantcast

Man Charged In Blue Line Attack Can Use CTA While Out On Bail

By  Erica Demarest Kelly Bauer and Alisa Hauser | October 12, 2017 1:33pm | Updated on October 12, 2017 6:19pm

 Chad M. Estep, 34, has been charged after allegedly pushing someone onto the Blue Line tracks.
Chad M. Estep, 34, has been charged after allegedly pushing someone onto the Blue Line tracks.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Chicago Police Department

DOWNTOWN — A man charged with attempted murder for allegedly pushing someone onto CTA Blue Line tracks is allowed to use the CTA while he's free on bail.

Charged with attempted first-degree murder is Chad Estep, 34, a data analyst who earned a Ph.D. in neuroscience from Northwestern University earlier this year, according to court testimony. He had no criminal history in Chicago before being arrested Monday night at his Wicker Park home.

Several people, including the victim, identified Estep as the attacker, prosecutors said. And phone records place Estep's cellphone at the same Loop subway station as the victim at the time of the attack, prosecutors said. 

Estep was ordered held on $200,000 bail during a brief bond hearing Tuesday at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse, 2650 S. California Ave. His wife bailed him out Tuesday night with a check for $20,000.

There are currently no restrictions that keep Estep from using the CTA while he's out on bail. 

"The CTA in some instances can seek to suspend transit privileges for individuals convicted of crimes on CTA, per our Code of Conduct, via a court order," a CTA spokeswoman told DNAinfo. "CTA has sought a court’s permission to do so on some occasions, such as when a suspect is convicted of assaulting a CTA employee. It is difficult to enforce, but we make every attempt to ensure the safety of our passengers and employees." 

In this case, however, the transit authority didn't seek to ban Estep from riding buses or trains. 

"The suspect has not been convicted of a crime, and we don’t seek bans for people who haven’t been convicted of crimes," the spokeswoman said. "If this individual were to be convicted, we would seek court permission to suspend his transit privileges."

Estep's attorney declined to comment Thursday.

According to Assistant State's Attorney Erin Antonietti, the victim — identified in court records as 46-year-old Ben Benedict — was heading home from a Cubs game Aug. 1 when he entered the Washington Blue Line station at 19 N. Dearborn St.

Benedict had not been drinking, prosecutors said, but Estep appeared intoxicated when he hopped a turnstile at the station and briefly waited for a train.

The men had never met before that evening, authorities said, and did not speak before the attack.

According to Antonietti, Estep fielded a phone call and then used both hands to shove Benedict from behind onto the tracks.

Benedict, who sprained his wrist in the surprise fall, nearly hit the third rail, prosecutors said. When he tried to get up, Estep wouldn't help the man and even tried to block other people from lifting Benedict off the tracks, according to authorities.

A train arrived shortly after Benedict was able to get off the tracks.

Benedict told the Tribune he screamed for help and that his attacker looked "like a lion looking at his prey."

"The offender then menaced the victim and would not allow him to climb back onto the platform until bystanders intervened and assisted the victim," the Chicago Police Department said in a statement.

Someone who knows Estep recognized him after a video of the incident was released, according to police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. Estep was brought in for a lineup and later identified by Benedict.

According to Estep's LinkedIn page, he works as a senior data analyst at health care company Procured Health. The company declined to comment.

Estep, who earned his Ph.D. in March and recently went into the private sector, was married about a year ago. His LinkedIn profile's bio reads: "Ex patch-clamp electrophysiologist with a deep love for neurotoxins and ion channels. Leaving academia is tough, but it's the correct decision and I'm doing it. Next step: data analytics outside the ivory tower."

Estep's defense attorney, Vadim Glozman, said in court Tuesday he has "serious doubts" about the validity of Estep's identification by witnesses.

“I’ve seen the stills from the video, and they’re not very clear," the defense attorney told Cook County Judge Michael Clancy. “There’s no video of this happening, judge. ... We have a 34-year-old young professional who’s just starting off his career. ... He has absolutely no criminal history. ... There’s absolutely nothing to suggest any violent behavior in his past or in his future.”

After court Tuesday, Glozman told reporters Estep "lives with his wife quietly, and he's a productive member of society."

He also said he expects Estep to be exonerated.

“Quite honestly," Glozman said, "it’s a shame that Mr. Estep has to go through all this. The allegations put forth by the state are extremely serious. And as far as I can see, there’s very minimal evidence against Mr. Estep. We’re going to do our own further, thorough investigation. At the end of that, I expect Mr. Estep to be exonerated.”