WASHINGTON HEIGHTS — A thief has been stealing items from vehicles in Auburn Gresham and Washington Heights, according to the Chicago Police Department.
A community alert from police in the Morgan Park District warned residents of the thief they said has been prowling the area between midnight and 7 a.m. looking for unlocked vehicles.
Upon finding an unlocked vehicle, the thief steals items inside. One vehicle's window was smashed when the thief spotted some desirable items, police said.
Eight vehicles have been stolen from in the 8700 to 9900 south blocks between Halsted Street and Eggleston Avenue, according to police.
Specifically, the thefts occurred on:
• Sept. 8 in the 9000 block of South Emerald Avenue
• Sept. 13 in the 9200 block of South Lowe Avenue
• Sept. 21 in the 9500 block of South Union Avenue
• Sept. 25 in the 9800 block of South Lowe Avenue
• Sept. 27 in the 8800 block of South Emerald Avenue
• Sept. 27 in the 9000 block of South Lowe Avenue
• Monday in the 8900 block of South Parnell Avenue
Police recommend that drivers lock their vehicles at all times and avoid keeping anything of value inside, including cellphone chargers, purses, briefcases and loose change.
Anyone with more information about the thefts is asked to call detectives at 312-747-8273.