The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Dying Man Tells Police Who Shot Him, Leading To Arrest, Prosecutors Say

By Erica Demarest | September 18, 2017 11:16pm
 Accused gunman Anthony Culpepper, 18, was denied bail Monday.
Accused gunman Anthony Culpepper, 18, was denied bail Monday.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo; Cook County Sheriff's Office

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — A man who was shot seven times in Gage Park on Saturday was able to name his killer before dying at a nearby hospital, prosecutors said Monday.

Maurice King, 21, was fatally shot seven times as he sat in his car in the 2500 block of West 58th Street about 10:10 a.m. King lived on the block, authorities said.

Before he was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital, King told several witnesses, Chicago police officers and first responders "that Anthony Culpepper had shot him," Assistant State's Attorney Julia Ramirez said during a bond hearing Wednesday.

Culpepper, 18, is charged with first-degree murder.

Cook County Judge David Navarro on Wednesday denied Culpepper bail, dubbing him a "real and present threat."

According to prosecutors, King had just left a Gage Park home and was sitting in his car when Culpepper walked up and opened fire. King was able to get out of his car and run across the street before he collapsed in a nearby hallway, Ramirez said.

Culpepper, meanwhile, got into the passenger seat of a waiting gold Nissan Altima and drove off, according to prosecutors. A witness said Culpepper wore black shorts and no shirt.

Several witnesses helped King until paramedics arrived, Ramirez said. It was during this time that King told several people Culpepper was the gunman. He reiterated his claim when first responders arrived.

King was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital at 10:49 a.m. Saturday, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. He had been shot seven times, and police found multiple shell casings at the scene of the shooting.

Police arrested Culpepper several hours later when they spotted him driving a gold Altima, which is registered in his name, prosecutors said. Culpepper had black shorts on and was shirtless.

This is Culpepper's first adult arrest. As a juvenile, prosecutors said, he was convicted of aggravated battery and sentenced to 18 months probation.

According to his public defender, Culpepper is a high school senior who works at McDonald's. He lives in the 1300 block of West 83rd Street, court records show.