ANDERSONVILLE — More than a dozen Andersonville businesses will be staying open late this weekend for a new monthly event series.
The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce will launch its inaugural First Fridays series from 6-10 p.m. Friday, according to a press release.
"Just last month, Andersonville was voted Chicago's best overall neighborhood, and we remain a fantastic destination for local retail, quality dining, and more, but for First Fridays, we're kicking it up a notch with an experiential shopping event throughout the neighborhood," said Executive Director Sara Dinges.
The effort to promote local shopping includes promotions, refreshments and experiences on the first Friday of each month, the release said.
“Some of the best features of Andersonville are the vibrant mix of small, locally-owned businesses and the wonderful residents who support us. One of the things I am most appreciative of, is how we as businesses do not stand in competition against each other, but rather united in support of one another," said Murray and White co-owner JT Murray, who helped craft First Fridays.
• Live acoustic music at Andersonville Brewing, 5402 N. Clark St.
• Dining with Divas drag revue show at Hamburger Mary's. Reservations recommended. 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. 5400 N. Clark St.
• Jerry's staff will be handing out free cookies while supplies last to everyone in the restaurant every 30 minutes. 5419 N. Clark St.
• Enjoy complimentary sangria, sample sauces and jams from New Canaan Farms and meet Murray and White owners JT and Travis. 5416 N. Clark St.
• Free refreshments and special deals at Andersonville's newest business Transit Tees, 5226 N. Clark St. opening Friday.
The next First Friday is Aug. 4.