BEVERLY — The 19th Ward Healthy Summer Campaign begins Saturday with events throughout the month promoting wellness as well as showcasing area parks, neighborhood fitness studios and more.
Ald. Matt O'Shea (19th) is behind the effort, which he believes could become an annual series of events.
"I feel like there is a much going on with people trying to get fit, and we [in the 19th Ward] have so many different options," O'Shea said.
Here's a complete list of happenings during the campaign:
• At 2 p.m. Saturday, Dr. Matthew Griffin will discuss preventing and treating diabetes at the MetroSouth Health Center at 11250 S. Western Ave. For more information, call 773-779-7500.
• At 1 p.m. June 15, State Rep. Fran Hurley (D-Chicago) will host senior citizen chair yoga in the 19th Ward Office at 10402 S. Western Ave.
• At 10 a.m. June 19, a senior citizen health fair will be held at Mount Greenwood Park at 3721 W. 111th St.
• At 6 p.m. June 19, Saint Xavier University and State Rep. Kelly Burke (D-Evergreen Park) will host a women’s self-defense class in the university's Shannon Center at 3700 W. 103rd St.
• At 7 p.m. June 20, Southtown Health Foods will host a session on managing stress and energy with nutrition with Katie Mahler Speh, owner of the health food store at 2100 W. 95th St.
• At 7 p.m. June 27, Smith Village will host a healthy cooking demonstration with Chef Gautham Rao at the retirement community at 2340 W. 113th Place.
• At 6 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday as well as 7 a.m. every Saturday Running Excels hosts a running club that leaves from the store at 10328 S. Western Ave.
For more information, visit the 19th Ward office at 10400 S. Western Ave. or call 773-238-8766.