OLD TOWN — The last public horse stable in the city is gone.
Demolition of the Noble Horse Theater is complete as the site is cleared for a new seven-story, 252-unit apartment building that won approval from the Plan Commission last year.
The city's remaining horse carriages had to move out of the stable last year after the property was sold to LG Development Group.
The building, at 1410 N. Orleans St., dated to the Great Chicago Fire in 1871 and originally housed 60 coach and riding horses. It was renovated in 1922 and became a riding hall and academy, and later a theater for performing horses
More recently, it was the site of an arson while still serving as a stable two years ago, and while vacant was the target of another arson in March, after which it was boarded up.
The structure is gone now, though, and with it a community mural that had been on a wall along Sedgwick Street.
LG Development did not immediately respond to requests for comment on when construction might begin on the seven-story apartment building, which will have the address of 1415 N. Sedgwick St.
The Chicago Police Department Mounted Patrol Unit has stables located at the South Shore Cultural Center, but otherwise Noble Horse was believed to be the last public stable in the city.