CHICAGO — A shooting in Austin killed one and wounded five people on Friday afternoon, police said.
At 1:38 p.m., the six victims were in the 5600 block of West Lake Street when a gray-colored SUV drove up and someone inside fired shots, police said.
One victim, who was 24 years old, was taken to Loyola Hospital and pronounced dead, police said. The man was identified as Byron McKinney Jr., of the 500 block of North Pine Avenue, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.
The other five victims were in good condition at West Suburban Hospital.
Police shut down portions of Lake Street, blocking it off with cars and yellow crime tape, after the shooting. The shooting happened near Austin Town Hall Park.
The surviving victims include:
• a 20-year-old man shot in his foot
• a 46-year-old man was shot in his buttocks
• a 17-year-old was shot in his leg
• a 24-year-old man was shot in his thigh
• a 29-year-old man was shot in his thigh
No one was in custody.