Quantcast

'Devastating' Edgebrook Fire Damages 2 Businesses, No Injuries

By Alex Nitkin | March 20, 2017 10:48am
 Aqua Salon, 5346 W. Devon Ave., and the next-door The Elephant Thai Cuisine were reported damaged in the fire.
Aqua Salon, 5346 W. Devon Ave., and the next-door The Elephant Thai Cuisine were reported damaged in the fire.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Alex Nitkin

EDGEBROOK — No one was hurt in a fire that left two Edgebrook businesses seriously damaged Sunday evening, according to Chicago Fire Department officials.

The blaze began shortly before 8:30 p.m. at The Elephant Thai Cuisine, 5348 W. Devon Ave., and spread next door to the Aqua Salon before it was put out, according to Cmdr. Curtis Hudson, a Fire Department spokesman.

Investigators said they believe the blaze started in the restaurant's grease chute, Hudson said.

The fire was a "devastating blow" to the owners of the small businesses, according to a Facebook post from the Sauganash Chamber of Commerce.

The fire rendered the restaurant "temporarily closed until further notice," owners announced via Facebook.

 Aqua Salon, 5346 W. Devon Ave., and the next-door The Elephant Thai Cuisine were reported damaged in the fire.
Aqua Salon, 5346 W. Devon Ave., and the next-door The Elephant Thai Cuisine were reported damaged in the fire.
View Full Caption
Facebook / Aqua Salon

The neighborhood business group Everyday Edgebrook set up a Facebook page Monday accepting donations for The Elephant and Aqua Salon's recovery efforts.

The fire remains under investigation, Hudson said.