LINCOLN PARK — Construction is underway for a new four-story corporate headquarters at Webster Avenue and the North Branch of the Chicago River.
C.H. Robinson, a global transportation and logistics firm, is moving its Chicago headquarters to the site, at 1515 W. Webster Ave., after the project cleared the Plan Commission and the City Council last year. A construction permit was granted on the $36 million project late last month.
The 200,000-square-foot building will sit on 4.3 acres and have room for almost 200 car parking spaces and 200 spots for bicycles. It's expected to be the new corporate home for 1,000 C.H. Robinson employees by the end of next year, as they move over from its previous Chicago headquarters at 1840 N. Marcey St.
It's the location of the former Gutmann Leather Tannery. Although it's not part of the Finkl Steel development, it's being handled by Sterling Bay, which is also developing the former Finkl Steel site. The design of the new building is by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.