The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

First Look At Rogers Park Mini-Target, Apartments Pitched For Sheridan Road

By Linze Rice | January 24, 2017 5:11pm
 A new look at some of the proposed plans for a mini-Target store and apartment units on Sheridan Road.
Rogers Park Target
View Full Caption

ROGERS PARK — The ball is rolling on a proposed seven-story development for Sheridan Road in Rogers Park that includes a mini-Target, 111 apartment units, underground parking and additional retail space.

Now dubbed the "Concord at Sheridan," the mixed-use development is slated for a plot of land just north of 6400 N. Sheridan Road that is now a parking lot and community center used by seniors who live at the Caroline Hedger Apartments.

The senior apartments and the site where the proposed development would sit are owned by the Chicago Housing Authority.

Last fall, developer Three Corners Development entered a contingent agreement with the housing group to lease the property for 99 years, and by the end of 2016 had also reached an agreement with Target to serve as the building's retail anchor, according to Ald. Joe Moore (49th).

New details for the plan released by city officials Tuesday provide a first look at the potential development, which includes 133 underground parking spaces for Caroline Hedger seniors, Concord on Sheridan residents and Target customers. 

Moore said a left-turn lane added to northbound Sheridan Road would allow drivers to turn into the building without building up traffic behind them, but is looking for "additional improvements" with the city's Department of Transportation to help ease traffic flow.  

The first floor would contain a 23,000-square-foot mini-Target — about a tenth the size of the full-scale Target on Wilson Avenue in Uptown. 

The smaller store is part of a new concept from Target called a "flexible format" that can be more tailored toward the needs of each neighborhood. Three are already in Chicago: Hyde Park, Streeterville and Lincoln Park are each home to a "flexible format" Target. 

An additional 6,400 square feet of ground-floor retail space would also be available to lease. 

The storefronts would be topped off with another six floors filled with 111 residential units ranging from 800-square-foot one-bedrooms with a single bathroom, to 1,000-square-foot two-bedrooms with two bathrooms.

Of those units, about 60 percent would be set aside for renters with the housing authority, while the remaining 40 percent could be leased at market rate.

The proposal also includes a new community room with a rooftop garden and terrace for residents at the Caroline Hedger building, who had earlier spoken out against the project at a meeting for the housing authority in part because they feared losing the space. 

During construction seniors will still have access to a community room, however they will have to walk down the block to a storefront at 1244 W. Devon Ave. That building was also developed by Three Corners Development and houses an office for Madison Construction — both founded by Robert Ferino. 

Seniors who park at the building will also have temporary parking, but will need to walk north to Arthur Avenue. 

Before the project becomes a reality, Three Corners must get approval from the city's Plan Commission and ultimately the City Council. 

Moore will hold a meeting at 7 p.m. Monday with developers at Loyola University’s Crown Center for the Humanities, 1001 W. Loyola Ave., to share plans and get feedback from the community.

The new senior community room alongside the seven-story proposed development. [Provided/Three Corners Development]

A look at the building during twilight. [Provided/Three Corners Development]

The proposed development from the back. [Provided/Three Corners Development]

A look at the properties involved in the development. [Provided/Three Corners Development]