BRIDGEPORT — Burglars have been posing as electrical repairmen and construction workers in the neighborhood, according to Deering District detectives.
Their ruse worked like this: The burglars knocked on the door of elderly residents posing as electric workers or asking for a bucket of water to use on a construction job.
Once inside the home, they stole jewelry.
Police said the crimes took place:
• At 3:05 p.m. Jan. 8 in the 3000 block of South Normal Avenue
• At 3:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 400 block of West 28th Place
Police describe the robbers as two “possible white Hispanic” men between ages 30-45, standing between 5-foot-8 and 6 feet, weighing between 150 and 200 pounds.
Anyone with information about these break-ins is asked to call detectives at 312-747-8382.
Here’s what Chicago Police say you can do to keep your homes and property safe:
• Keep your property well lit.
• Report all suspicious activity.
• Keep doors and windows secured.
• Immediately repair any broken windows, doors or locks.
• If video surveillance is available, make a copy of the footage of the crime for detectives.
• If your home is burglarized, do not touch anything. Call police instead.
• If you find witnesses, request their contact information for detectives.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: