The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Vigil For Paul O'Neal, Shot Dead By Chicago Police, Ends In Fight (VIDEO)

By DNAinfo Staff | July 30, 2016 10:04am

CHICAGO — A vigil for a man shot dead by Chicago Police this week during a car chase ended in a fight and arguments.

Paul O'Neal, 18, of the 1700 block of East 70th Street, was in a stolen car when he was fatally shot by officers on Thursday night, police have said. Police have said two officers broke rules in the shooting and had been stripped of their powers.

Activist Lamon Reccord said he knew O'Neal, calling him his "brother" in posts on Facebook, and organized a vigil for the man on Friday night. Attendees brought posters and lit candles at the vigil, but it ended after a fight and arguments.

"Violence is not the answer," someone said amid the fight.

Watch video from the vigil:

Reccord and others have been critical of the police-involved shooting, with Reccord writing on Facebook that O'Neal should have been arrested or detained. A 17-year-old who was in the car with O'Neal was arrested.

"Due to the fact of me losing my brother yesterday, the officers [have] now been relieved from law [enforcement], it is a start of equality justice," Reccord wrote on Facebook, also thanking people for their support. "I am dealing with [entirely] too much and I am at the point where I just don't know what to do. I need to leave Chicago for about a good week to clear my mind."

First Deputy Supt. John Escalante has ordered an internal investigation of the incident, and the Independent Police Review Authority will also investigate the police-involved shooting. The officers involved in the incident will be placed on leave for 30 days.

Officers who were involved were wearing body cameras, police said.

Just 40 minutes before the shooting in South Shore, police shot a man who they said had a gun and was running away after a robbery in Englewood.

For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: