At least five people have been hospitalized with food poisoning, officials said.
An investigation of the restaurant at 300 W. 26th St. showed the outbreak began there.
Carbón voluntarily closed until an investigation is complete. No one from the restaurant was available to comment Friday afternoon, but health department officials say Carbón will not participate in this year's Taste of Chicago festival.
As a precaution, Carbón owners have also closed their second location at 810 N. Marshfield.
CDPH officials say anyone who recently ate at the restaurant and is suffering from symptoms including diarrhea should see a doctor.
“This is a serious condition that is treatable,” said CDPH Commissioner Julie Morita in a statement. “Anyone who believes they may be symptomatic and ate at this restaurant should see their medical provider immediately. CDPH is taking every precaution as part of our robust response in order to limit the impact of this outbreak.”
The E. coli can be transmitted through contaminated foods including undercooked beef, unpasteurized juice, raw milk and unwashed, raw produce.
Investigators have not identified the items responsible for this outbreak. Health officials are interviewing patients to rule out other possible exposures.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: