UPTOWN — An Uptown synagogue that has served Orthodox Jews for a century was bought by developer Cedar Street last month.
Agudas Achim North Shore Synagogue, 5029 N. Kenmore Ave., was bought for $1.25 million and will be converted into residences, according to Crains, which first reported the purchase.
"We definitely are not going to demolish it. ... We think the architecture is really amazing, and we're trying to see what we can do with the interior," Alex Samoylovich, managing partner of Cedar Street, told Crains.
The synagogue had been a teardown candidate because extensive water damage, vandalism and years of deferred maintenance, Crains reports.
Last year, the building was listed as one of the most in danger of being demolished by Preservation Chicago along with the Clarendon Park Fieldhouse, a Masonic temple in Englewood and the Finkl Steel campus in Lincoln Park.
It has been described as "the last great synagogue" and was built in 1922 with Romanesque Revival, Art Deco and Spanish influences.
The three-strory worship center, which features a fellowship hall, offices, classrooms and a commercial kitchen, was designed by Henry Dubin and sat more than 1,750 people, according to a listing on Loopnet.com.
The building, which cost $400,000 to build in the 1920s, was put up for sale in 2012, according to Uptown Update.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: