JEFFERSON PARK — Voting is underway in the 45th Ward participatory budgeting election.
Votes can be cast from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. through Friday at the 45th Ward office, 4754 N. Milwaukee Ave., and from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the Wilson Park Field House, 4630 N. Milwaukee Ave.
This is the fourth year Ald. John Arena (45th) has allowed voters to spend his $1 million discretionary budget on a variety of projects.
In addition to choosing four projects, voters will decide what percentage of the budget should be used to resurface streets, Arena said.
All residents of the 45th Ward older than 14 are eligible to vote. The ward includes Jefferson Park and parts of Portage Park, Forest Glen, Gladstone Park and Old Irving Park.
The projects up for a vote are:
• $81,000 for 150 trees; $162,000 for 300 trees or $243,000 for 450 trees. Fifteen trees each will be earmarked for Farnsworth Elementary School, Independence Park, Robert Square Park and on Milwaukee Avenue north of Foster Avenue.
• $390,000 for ornamental lighting on Lawrence Avenue between Avondale and Milwaukee avenues.
• $335,000 to repave Avondale Avenue between Lawrence Avenue and Ainslie Street and build a sidewalk and install streetlights.
• $230,000 for a new sidewalk and curb along the south side of Jefferson Memorial Park, and two benches near the field house.
• $200,000 for curbs and sidewalks in various locations.
• $150,000 for for curb extensions on Bryn Mawr Avenue at Austin Avenue. Also known as pedestrian bump-outs, the project would be designed to make it safer for people to get around on foot. The plan must be approved by city transportation officials.
• $80,000 for new crosswalks at Milwaukee Avenue and Windsor, Wilson and Leland avenues.
• $70,000 for lighting and fencing improvements on the sidewalk between the Gladstone Park Metra station and the pedestrian bridge over the Kennedy Expy.
• $60,000 for a pedestrian refuge island on Lawrence Avenue at Lavergne Avenue.
• $60,000 for bicycle lanes on Austin Avenue from Elston Avenue to Northwest Highway.
• $32,200 for 14 decorative trash cans in nine locations.
• $30,000 for new lights in the viaduct on Milwaukee Avenue under the Metra tracks.
Jefferson Park Forward, a community group, endorsed the improvements set for Jefferson Memorial Park, improvements around Jefferson Memorial Park, tree planting, trash cans and Austin Avenue bicycle lanes.
For more information, call the 45th Ward office at 773-286-4545 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: