CHICAGO — Bike thieves love the lakefront.
Since 2010, 15,629 bikes were reported stolen, according to data acquired from the Chicago Police Department via a Freedom of Information Act request.
Bike thefts largely occur on the North Side, with the biggest concentrations around lakefront attractions and CTA stops, DNAinfo analysis found.
Here's a map showing all of the incidents. The bigger the dot, the more bikes were stolen from the block. Scroll below the map to see which blocks are the worst for bike thefts.
1. 1600 block of North Lake Shore Drive - 90 thefts: A very popular stop along the Lakefront Trail, North Avenue Beach was the site of 90 reported bike thefts since 2010. That's by far the highest of any block in Chicago.
2. 2200 block of North Cannon Drive - 65 thefts: Close to the Lakefront Trail, the lot in front of the Lincoln Park Zoo is the second worst spot in the city for bike thefts.
3. 2800 block of North Clark Street - 57 thefts: This Lakeview block is just north of the intersection between Diversey and Broadway. Other blocks around that intersection are also magnets for bike thefts.
4 (tie). 500 block of West Madison Street - 56 thefts: This block is a busy one that includes West Loop's Ogilvie Transportation Center and the Presidential Towers.
4 (tie). 600 block of East Grand Avenue - 56 thefts: Navy Pier is a popular stop for bike thieves.
6. 4900 block of North Milwaukee Avenue - 49 thefts: The Jefferson Park Transit Center — home to Metra and CTA Blue Line stations — is on this block. CTA officials say the best way to prevent bikes from being stolen is to use racks at stations within eyesight of the station attendant.
7. 1600 block of North Wells Street - 44 thefts: This stretch of Old Town is home to The Second City and a 24-hour Starbucks.
8 (tie). 100 block of South Michigan Avenue - 41 thefts: Part of the Loop, this block is home to the Art Institute of Chicago.
8 (tie). 2600 block of North Milwaukee Avenue - 41 thefts: This is the heart of Logan Square and includes its Blue Line station.
10. 100 block of West Jackson Boulevard - 40 thefts: In the heart of the Loop, this block is home to the Chicago Board of Trade building.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: