PORTAGE PARK — A Portage Park man whose dog raced back inside a burning two-flat to save him died Nov. 4 from injuries he suffered in the blaze, officials said Monday.
Peter Domaradzki, 69, the former editor-in-chief of the Polish Daily News, died of smoke inhalation after his home caught fire Oct. 20, said Becky Schlikerman, a spokeswoman for the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.
Domaradzki's death was accidental, Schlikerman said.
Bambi, the family's russet-colored Labrador, raced back inside the burning home in the 5100 block of West Grace Street when Domaradzki didn't make it out. Members of his family called the four-year-old Labrador a hero in the Tribune.
An online effort to raise $5,000 to cover the dog's medical expenses ended up raising $10,800 in 19 days. Bambi spent 2½ days at the Premier Veterinary Clinic in Avondale before being discharged. The dog was briefly readmitted after suffering seizures, but is now back with her family, officials with the clinic said.