The project will replace 8-inch sewer mains in an effort to prevent homes south of Dunham Park, 4638 N. Melvina Ave., from flooding, Sposato said.
During the work, set to start at 7 a.m. and end at 4 p.m. on weekdays, the streets will be closed to traffic, Sposato said. Drivers should expect trips in the area to take longer than usual, and should follow all posted detours, the alderman added.
Parking will be banned in the work area, Sposato said.
The project is divided up into two-block segments. The streets set to be torn up are:
• Mason Avenue from Montrose Avenue to Irving Park Road
• Eastwood Avenue from Mobile to Melvina avenues
• Mobile Avenue from Eastwood to Montrose avenues
• Merrimac Avenue from Eastwood to Montrose avenues
• Eastwood Avenue from Narragansett to Mobile avenues
• Mulligan Avenue from Eastwood to Montrose avenues.
Residents will be able to reach their homes, even during work hours, and business owners will also be allowed through the work zone, Sposato said.
When crews are off-duty, one lane will be open to traffic, Sposato said.
The project is expected to be completed in December, and the streets will be repaved in the spring, Sposato said.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: