The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Blackhawks Fans Pack Wrigleyville as Party Engulfs Clark Street

By  Ariel Cheung and David Matthews | June 15, 2015 9:36pm | Updated on June 16, 2015 5:44am

 Wrigleyville filled up with revelers to celebrate the Blackhawks Stanley Cup victory.
Wrigleyville celebration
View Full Caption

WRIGLEYVILLE — If you couldn't be in the United Center for the first Stanley Cup win in Chicago in 77 years, Wrigleyville was a good backup plan.

Thousands of fans filled Clark Street outside Wrigley Field Monday night to celebrate the Blackhawks' victory, taking over the streets and partying in a sea of red.

While officers largely remained smiling during the post-game celebrations, a couple of tense moments at intersections near Wrigley Field resulted in smashed windows of a police car and swarms of officers attempting to break up crowds close to 3 a.m.

Police officers allowed the crowds into the middle of Clark, but set up barricades to restrict more people from entering. As a result, several huge pockets of Blackhawks sweater-clad fans screamed and shouted and hoisted each other into the air.

A few blocks away early Tuesday, mounted police officers helped clear the intersection of Addison and Racine around 1 a.m. Fans crowded streets both on foot and in cars, honking and shouting at passersby.

News crews flooded the area, too, with helicopters, rooftops cameras and street reporters drawing crowds that got even louder when the TV lights went on.

The Clark and Addison intersection, bathed in the red neon glow of the Wrigley Field marquee, drew a huge crowd. A second mass gathering was farther south on Clark, where Sheffield crosses the street. Even more fans packed that intersection to party as the Hawks finished off the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The huge crowd came despite a twist of fate from Mother Nature. The Cubs had been scheduled to play a night game Monday, but a deluge washed it out, sparing the neighborhood the double-dip of the Cubs game ending and the Hawks winning at roughly the same time.

Earlier, fans lined up outside Wrigleyville watering holes in the drizzle. Even Chicago police officers craned to get a look at big-screen TVS showing the Lightning vs. Hawks Stanley Cup Final Game 6.

By the time Patrick Kane banged in his first goal of the Stanley Cup Final to give the Hawks a 2-0 lead deep into the third period, the neighborhood was ready to rock.

Wrigleyville also was the epicenter of celebrations in 2013, the last time the Hawks won the Stanley Cup. Police had to use mounted patrols that year to clear the streets.

For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: