CHICAGO — More than 300 people were shot and 37 people were killed in shootings throughout the city during May.
That's an increase in shootings and gun deaths compared to May 2014, when 237 people were wounded and 36 were slain in shootings.
This May, 46 people in total were slain in Chicago, with 37 dying from gunshot wounds.
Of the 309 people injured in shootings in Chicago last month, 35 were shot in West Englewood, the most of any of Chicago's 77 community areas, based on a DNAinfo analysis.
Five of those wounded, including a 2-year-old girl, were shot in a single incident in the 6200 block of South Honore Street. In a separate West Englewood shooting, three kids — a 4-year-old girl, 17-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl, were shot. After being shot in her head, 4-year-old Jacele Johnson has been transferred to a Minnesota facility to help her recover from her injuries.
West Englewood also led the city in total shootings last month. The neighborhood was the site of 24 of the city's 252 reported shootings compiled by DNAinfo.
But only one of the people shot in West Englewood died from his wounds. The 37 fatal shootings last month took place throughout the city.
Some other findings from shootings reported in May:
• Of the reported shootings, 44 resulted in multiple victims.
• The most violent period of the month was Memorial Day weekend, when 56 people were shot between Thursday afternoon (May 22) and early Tuesday morning (May 26). The bloodiest day of the month occurred the Saturday before, when 20 people were shot on May 16.
• The North Side had far fewer shootings than the South or West sides, and the shootings in that part of Chicago were mostly concentrated in two neighborhoods. In Albany Park six people were shot, one fatally. Six people were shot, though none fatally, in Rogers Park. The violence in Albany Park has led neighborhood residents to pack community police meetings.
In other notable shootings in May:
• Two men — Justin Blanks of Hebron and Joseph Luttien, both of Indiana — were killed in a North Lawndale shooting that also wounded a woman.
• Shaquon Thomas, also known as Young Pappy, was shot dead in Uptown. The North Side rapper was the target of two shootings in 2014 that killed bystanders.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: