The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Reputed Gang Leader Arrested After Posting Gun Range Visit to Instagram

By DNAinfo Staff | May 14, 2015 5:35pm
Labar "Bro Man" Spann
View Full Caption

CHICAGO — Instagram put "Bro Man" back in jail.

Labar "Bro Man" Spann, a wheelchair-bound, reputed Chicago street gang leader, is in hot water with the feds after posting an Instagram video of him shooting a Glock at a suburban gun range, according to a federal complaint.

His problem? He's not allowed to possess a firearm as a convicted felon.

In a criminal complaint, the Department of Justice said Spann posted video of himself and two women firing guns on Instagram. One video posted to his account allegedly was captioned "Yeah this the type of s--- I do with my b------" and "real boss do this type of s---."

Spann, 36, is a reputed leader of the Four Corner Hustlers who famously spoke out against a meeting with gang members organized by former Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis in 2010.

Spann was arrested Thursday and is facing federal gun charges after allegedly firing the rounds at Midwest Sporting Goods, a range in suburban Lyons, the feds said.

Spann, of the 800 block of North Francisco Street, uses a wheelchair because of injuries from a gunshot wound. In 2003, prosecutors claimed he was carried into a West Side trailer to kill Latin Kings gangster Rudy Rangel Jr.

"It turns out Spann needs to be carried to and from crime scenes," a Cook County State's Attorney's Office spokesman told the Chicago Sun-Times at the time.

Spann was acquitted in the Rangel murder, the Tribune reports. But in later years, he was convicted of harassing a witness, armed robbery, bringing contraband into prison, possession of a firearm, aggravated battery of a police officer and manufacturing/delivery of a controlled substance.

In 2010, he headed to what he thought was a parole meeting on the West Side and found himself surrounded by other gang leaders and then-Supt. Weis, according to published reports. He said the whole thing was "a gimmick."

For his latest arrest, he was ordered to remain in federal custody. He faces up to ten years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted, the department said.

For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: