DOWNTOWN — Need penitence tomorrow, but can't make it to church for Ash Wednesday?
Relax. One Chicago parish is bringing ashes to the streets.
Chicago-based Urban Village Church will dole out ashes for foreheads at 20 different spots throughout the city Wednesday. The occasion, Ash Wednesday, marks the beginning of Lent, the 40-day season before Easter Sunday when Christians repent their sins.
It's the fifth time Urban Village Church has ashed foreheads in public on Ash Wednesday, maintaining an ethos to take the church "out in the world instead of letting the world come to the church," lead pastor Christian Coon said.
"When you have that cross on your forehead, in a way, it proclaims to the world that I’m not that perfect," Coon said. "Ash is a reminder of our mortality and a sense that 'I don’t have it all together, I need help.'"
Founded five years ago, Urban Village Church does not have its own building but instead rents space from four venues around town: in Wicker Park, River North, Andersonville and Hyde Park-Woodlawn.
The 800-member parish focuses on community outreach, including participation in the annual Pride Parade in Lakeview and handing out candy canes and Christmas caroling during the holidays, Coon said.
Church representatives will hit public transit stops and other busy areas during key commuting times Wednesday. Here's when and where you can get your forehead ashed by Urban Village Church:
Downtown/River North/Lincoln Park
• Daley Plaza, 50 W. Washington St., from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
• Chicago Brown Line Station from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
• Outside Shake Shack, 66 E. Ohio St., from noon to 1 p.m.
• Chicago Theatre, 175 N. State St., from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• North & Clybourn Red Line Station, from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Wicker Park/Logan Square
• Logan Square Blue Line Station, from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
• Damen Blue Line Station, from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
• Division Blue Line Station: from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
• Ravenswood Metra Station, from 6:45 a.m. to 8 a.m.
• Howard Red Line Station, from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
• Belmont Red Line Station, from 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
• Berwyn Red Line Station, from 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
• Cottage Grove Green Line Station, from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
• 57th St. and Kimbark Ave., from noon to 1 p.m.
• 53rd St. and Lake Park Ave., from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
•53rd St. and Harper Court, from noon to 1 p.m.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: